4 Questions to Ask Long-Distance Movers
Get Your Free Quote
Long-distance relocations require a lot of effort and may cause some stress, starting from planning, choosing a mover, and the transportation process itself. The most crucial step in the moving process is finding the right moving company, who you can entrust the transportation of your most prized possessions through hundreds of miles. Otherwise, you might end up receiving low-quality services or even falling victim to fraudulent companies.
Ask these questions before hiring movers
We recommend you asking the following four main questions before you decide to hire a specific company:
Tips on how to choose a reliable mover
- Firstly, make sure you’re not dealing with a broker. Moving brokers are just sales agents who book your move and communicate with you in the moving process for a commission from your pocket. That means they sell the job to professional movers, but this indirect communication with movers may cause some misunderstandings and problems.
- Check the USDOT number of a company you chose on safer.fmcsa.dot.gov and request a Certificate of Insurance (COI). Your moving company should be licensed and insured to operate in all states it will cross.
- Check the company background on Better Business Bureau (BBB) and reviews on Google, Yelp, and TrustPilot. Look for red flags, if they had any accidents and complaints from customers.
- Check if they have the necessary equipment, such as trucks, vans, hoisting equipment, and other special tools for your move. If a company hires another company as subcontractor to perform a part of the job, check the subcontractor’s background too.
- Read the contracts carefully before you sign, especially parts about the responsibility of the parties and cancellation policy. Keep the contract until your possessions are delivered, and you are sure all the goods are in the original condition. Without documentation signed by both parties – you and your mover, you won’t be able to file a claim if your belongings will be damaged.
- Ask for a detailed quote from any potential mover, which should include all the services and fees, get in-home estimates, and compare them.
- You can do it yourself, but let the packers do the packing. We recommend you hiring packers because they will properly pack your belongings for long-distance transportation. Professional packers can wrap your items carefully and safely, so they won’t get damaged during the relocation. Read this article and find out how much packers charge per hour.
To learn more about hiring the quality movers, read our detailed article on 10 tips for hiring a reliable moving company.
If you are planning a long-distance move to another city or few states over, ask your mover the questions above and keep in mind the tips before you choose a specific company. Those tips will help your long-distance relocation go smoothly, save you a lot of time and money, and give peace of mind.